This text provides a superb introduction to the study of proteins, focusing on their structure and function. It covers the importance of proteins in biochemistry and introduces the concepts connected with protein folding in a user-friendly manner. Written specifically for undergraduates, it will provide them with the foundation they need in order to undertake more advanced study and analysis. The accompanying web site will include animated protein structures, problems and answers, and links to protein databases and other sites of interest.
1. An introduction to protein structure and function.
2. Amino acids: the building blocks of proteins.
3. The three-dimensional structure of proteins.
4. The structure and function of fibrous proteins.
5. The structure and function of membrane proteins.
6. The diversity of proteins.
7. Enzyme kinetics, structure, function and catalysis.
8. Protein synthesis, processing and turnover.
9. Protein expression, purification and characterization.
10. Physical methods of determining the three-dimensional structure of proteins.
11. Protein folding in vivo and in vitro.
12. Protein structure and a molecular approach to medicine.